Friday, February 3, 2012

Meet-and-Greet party

[This is intended as sort of an explanation of the general idea for the pre/post/ceremony/reception posts, and test run to see if there are any problems with the process that need to be addressed.]

Invitation to:
* George and Shelli King
* Susan Fox and Gene Turnbow
* Gordon and Blake Kero
* Delari Johnston and Keith Murray
* Joseph and Joanne Greene
* James Davis and Tanya Stewart
(consider these to include "and family" if you have young'uns you'll be bring along)

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Morgan and Roland
would be delighted
if you could join them
for an evening of pizza
and conversation
at their home
(some evening before
the ceremony *g*)

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

A spacious living room with a window taking up half the outer wall is miraculously clean. Comfy chairs are gathered around a folding table, well-spread with pizza of the guests' choice (the bride and groom have a pepperoni and fresh garlic pie [1]). One room over, any children brought with guests are watching and/or playing the pre-vetted entertainment of their choice. A cozy fire burns invitingly in the fireplace, a pair of cute well-aged cats purring contentedly nearby (when they're not trying to get their ears scritched). The fridge is well-stocked with BOYCs, and the aroma from a pot of spiced cider on the stove fills the air.

Introductions are made as necessary (see the Ladies of Honor and Best Men posts if needed), music is turned on in the background [2], plates are filled, and the stories commence. :-)

Roland and Morgan go back and forth for a minute on which story to start with -- Peter and Keith's Florida road trip, or the original wedding. The latter wins, being more relevant to the surroundings. They kick things off with that, taking turns telling the tale.

"We were going to be married at Great Western War II, as some of you are aware. We posted the basics on the About tab, but man, was that a day. Valentine's Day being on a Saturday that year, we were far from the only couple who had a wedding rained out. At least one other couple postponed theirs until the next war, but we wanted to be married on Valentine's Day. After GWW had been called on account of, well, rain, everyone was breaking camp and packing in the cold and wet. This being 1998, Titanic quips flew back and forth -- at least one bard 'entertained' harried SCAdians with 'Nearer My God To Thee.' Digging cars out of the six-inch-deep mud pit that used to be a parking lot was harder to find amusing. It didn't help that back then, we were driving the 60s solid steel station wagon. Fortunately, this was this SCA -- people pitched in and the car was hauled out. Shortly after sunset, the rain had stopped, but the skies had cleared, temperatures had plummeted, and dinner had not been eaten.

"Packing the car and caravaning home was an adventure in itself, but I think that's one of those 'you hadda be there' things. Once we'd all gotten back here, warm clothes was loaned to still-damp guests, a fire much like that one was lit, and folks unloaded the food we'd brought to camp. Our contribution had been stew -- a welcome comfort food after a day like that -- while our guests provided yummy sides. Warm bread was a gourmet dish after huddling in chilly tents for most of the day. A couple of hours later, we were feeling mostly human again, and decided we could pull off this wedding thing after all.

"After a day where nothing seemed to want to go right, maybe we were entitled to a break, because the rest of the evening went off without a hitch. All of the day's obstacles -- the rain, mud, cold, packing, drive -- just vanished when we saw each other as the ceremony began. Dylan was remarkably patient for a tired 6-year-old dressed in fancy garb at 11:30, serving as ring-bearer with the particular gravity unique to young children. Seosaidh did an excellent job as our officiant, performing with deep spiritual dignity right up to the point when he finished the ceremony, looked at his watch, and said, 'Ten minutes to spare.' [3]" *they grin at Joseph*

(Presumably, someone picks up the ball from here with a story or anecdote. This is the part where you all "role-play" yourselves chatting and getting to know one another in the comments *G*.)


Annotations:
  1. The universe confirmed that we were meant for each other when we ordered pizza together for the first time. And decided on toppings in under thirty seconds. *G*
  2. One of the nice things about this being virtual -- the music playing is always something you'll like.
  3. The now-classic riff on Captain Sheridan's "good luck speech."

3 comments:

KeithM said...

Your wedding day story always reminds me of the SCA'ers in upstate New York who, after a few years at different festivals/campaigns, could look at each other, break out in a big grin, and simultaneously say "No shit, there we were..." and often didn't get any further before leaning on each other and laughing, tears running down their cheeks.

As for the second story, I invite Roland to fill in the blanks, correct my memory, etc.

My grandparents lived in Florida (Gulf-side) for most of my life and my sisters and I visited them for 2 weeks every summer.
Peter (not yet Roland) graduated from WCSU in Connecticut and moved to Florida (Atlantic-side) with his family.

A few months later I headed south on my annual family trek and followed Pete's directions across the state (and didn't get lost!) His diploma from Connecticut arrived in the mail that same day. Had a pleasant evening and lovely dinner with his family.

The next day we headed to Orlando to Universal Studios Theme Park where we had an awesome time riding rides and seeing sights. Ask him to show you our Star Trek videotape some time. We spent the night in a cheap motel (32 bucks and change I think) and made our way back down to his place.

Roland, I swear we swung by my folks but I don't recall whether it was on the way To or From the park. But I can't imagine that I didn't introduce you to my family's place on Siesta Key. To give you readers a taste of why...

The (very local) urban legend is that a radio station once asked listeners to answer How many grains of sand are there on Siesta Key? Nobody took them seriously, since the tiny island is mostly beachfront property. The answer is: zero. Sand is grains of sandstone, but Siesta Key beaches are grains of quartz. Nearly pure white and much much cooler to walk on because they reflect more of the sun's rays.

Now if you'll pass me a beverage and a slice I'll sit down and give someone else a chance.

hillbillycavewoman said...

Ooh, Keith, I know what you mean.. I've never been to any of the Florida Keys, but I was once at a beach on the Florida panhandle, and it had white-sand beaches just like that! I never knew they were quartz. Gorgeous.

Gordon - I wanna see that Star Trek videotape!

Blake agin - Yeah, he's a worser Trekkie than I am, but I'd love to see it too!

(turning back to Roland & Morgan) I really love you-guys' wedding story; it says so much about you. That's the reason it was the first thing I asked you to tell, when we all got together finally, introducing Gordon to you..Then when the conversation turned to gamer-talk, I knew I'd made the right decision in having you all meet.

I gotta say our "wedding-day" story isn't half so interestng..but it had its moments.
Gordon was finally divorced from his ex, who had really put up a fight to remain on Gordon's health insurance. Of course, that left me as less than a wife, and we--Gordon & I--really wanted to be man & wife, not just ships in the night and all that. *giggle*

So anyway. We kept imagining a handfasting-wedding, asdifferent and beautiful as the one that Roland & Morgan are having soon..but it kept getting put off.

Then I got a serious kidney infection, that landed me in the ER at Loma Linda..no insurance..
Shortly after, Gordon said, "Why don't we just get married, I can put you on my insurance, and we'll have the handfasting later."
*nudges Gordon* SO romantic!

Gordon - *laughs*

Blake - We got legally hitched at the City Hall, with no guests but opne, count 'em, one witness. I think he was wearing a T-shirt.

So we get to the part about "in sickness & in health"..and we both got the giggles.
One of Gordon's teeth had broken earlier that day, plus he had a sore on his lip, and I was still in the late stages of my kidney ailment, so we looked at each other and thought, "Yeah, we've got the 'in sickness' part down all right!"

I don't think the officiant apreciated our snickering. She probably thouhgt we weren't taking our vows seriously.

Gordon - Oh, and while we were waiting..This guy--just another person waiting in the lobby--was watching me & Blake playing around while were waiting too. Then he commented, he said, "I really like the way you two are with each other". Blake asked "What do you mean?" And he said "You and your son. I can tell you have a good relationship."

Blake - *makes a face* Yeah, it wasn't the first time. Anyway, I couldn't hit the guy for being mistaken, so I hit Gordon instead.

Gordon - I keep threatening her, the next time it happens, I'm gonna bend her backwards and make out with her right there in front of everybody.

Blake - Fine, I guess you are romantic. *smirks*

Shelli King said...

When I sat down to write this toast, I was so sure I could just jot down a few things over an hour or so including a few anecdotes and witticisms. But when I actually began to type, it became obvious it wasn’t that simple.

Our friendship began over a summer stock production of Fiddler on the Roof. From that moment on, high school became bearable. And it was never dull. Halloween in July. Changing our first names at least one per semester in our Sophomore year (much to the chagrin of our teachers). Writing a play by going back and forth with the pen saying “Wait, wait, wait!”

Morgan has been my fierce and loyal friend, my confidante, my sister. Even when we lost track of one another, she was never far from my thoughts. When we reconnected on Facebook I was so tickled to find her happy and with her soul mate, just as I had found mine.

I wish Morgan and Roland many years of continued companionship, joy in all they do, and satisfaction in all they achieve and this Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon the fields.
May the light of friendship guide your paths together.
May the laughter of children grace the halls of your home.
May the joy of living for one another trip a smile from your lips, A twinkle from your eye.
And when eternity beckons, at the end of a life heaped high with love,
May the good Lord embrace you with the arms that have nurtured you the whole length of your joy-filled days.
May the gracious God hold you both in the palm of His hands.
And, today, may the Spirit of Love find a dwelling place in your hearts.

Best Blogger Tips